Thai Con Leaf Spot

• Please help me figure out what's wrong with my Thai Con baby. This may be due to possible "sunburn" but I can't say with certainty  
    1. Overprotective plant mom still quarantined in bedroom which is pretty warm. I don’t have ac running in there during the day and it’s summer in nyc so I would say it’s prob about 75-80 degrees in there.  I move her to the bathroom overnight to use my AC for sleeping. Move her back to bedroom in the Morning. 
    2. About 4 feet away in nightstand from west facing window. Afternoon hot sun so I have been using blinds in the afternoon slightly ajar to get some partial sun in. 
    3. On humid days I have the window open for natural humidity. On dry days I have a mini humidifier running near it for a few hours in the morning. 
    4. I repotted on 8/24 from 4” nursery pot to 6” terracotta pot. I did not remove “soil” that it came in to not disturb roots. Added an aroid mix that I concocted at home that contains orchid bark, indoor potting soil, coco coir, perlite, worm castings and horticultural charcoal. Followed a recipe so tried to keep all ingredients in ratio. 
    5. I have only watered the plant twice since I have had it. Received plant on 8/11 via ups. Watered once on 8/15 and on repot day 8/24. Watering with purified water from pur filter mosquito bit “tea” for preventive measures. I had a slight gnat problem in the living room so all plants get watered with mosquito bit tea.

• Hey!!! Can you upload more photos of the entire plant. Thanks so much!

• @Ashley Brant done. Let me know if you need more pics. 

• Hey Jay! This is going to be a long response ☺️ I will get it finished tonight after the auction! 🥳

• @Jonathan Brant thank you! 

• How it looks today

• @Jay ok I'm here!!! Sorry for the delay!!!!

So forst things first - burning variegation is very normal for any plant with high color when being moved an acclimating. This is common because variegation is the weakest part of a leaf and serves No purpose to the plant so it will ditch it when it needs to conserve energy. Most likely this is all that's happening here. The plant is stressed and it's conserving energy...

But let's walk through your situation.

1. your moving it a lot, leaving a plant in a specific spot is a better idea so I can acclimate to it's new environment, plants want to live so they will adapt. 
    2. humidity with Thai cons is not super important, just keep as close to 50% or above as possible

3. Fungal gnats are a sign of overwatering... I will fix that! Side note that is important... overwatering is a problem when using a media that is to dense. Lighten up your substrate and you can water more which is better for the plant

4. I would water at least weekly maybe more... but again loosen up your media, if you have to knock of some (not all) nursery soil from us then do so. Swinging from dry to wet cause more issues then it staying on the dry side or the wet side. Consistency is key with plants. I run sprinklers in my nursery for 5-10 minutes every morning... my substrate and the plants can handle it. To much water is actually never the issue, it's soil that becomes anerobic when water sits in it that causes the problem. I'll be doing a write up on this soon!

my thoughts-

find a place for it where you like it and let it acclimate, expect some variegation to burn off during this period... lighting up your substrate when you repot next in spring (do not change it now, that will cause to much stress going into winter) and water it consistently... weekly is good! And keep and eye on it!!!! Post it's progress here ☺️☺️☺️

• @Jay also a good light over it will help a lot!!!!@Elizabelle  can you post the lights we use please!

• @Jonathan Brant  thanks for replying! Is there a way to turn on email notifications for when you get a reply on here? I poked around and didn't see how to do it. I’m also following you and several others 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

Here are my updates

1. TC has permanently been moved to north facing terrace door. 
    2. As of yesterday I have added grow lights for supplemental lighting. 
    3. I am running a humidifier on dry mornings til about noon. Hygrometer is reading currently at 56% humidity. 
    4. I just removed some soil off of the top for more air passage and used a chop stick to aerate a bit . Perhaps when I repotted a few weeks back I errnouesly made the mixture too dense? But I’m not changing as per your instruction. 
    5. I lightly watered yesterday as it felt dry when I poked my finger in and used a moisture meter. I don't think it liked it because I saw a small spot on the vareiegated larger leaf. I cut that little part off hoping it will stop the spread. 😩
    6. I am hoping I am nearing the end of the fungus gnats. I'm careful with watering, using yellow cards, mosquito bites tea and the ovo light. This started way before I got TC. 
    7. On a bright note, there are signs of life as a baby is on the way. 

• @Jay I put some instructions here about getting email. There's a place in the profile and then following each forum.  Can you @ me in a message, (reply here or on the instructions so we can test it?).   

https://nextworldexotics.com/community/nwe/topic/79559/how-to-receive-email